What supplements/feeds does your horse vacuum down every day?
This shit varies by the season.
In Autumn and Winter, Archie gets the following:
- One AC - half dose SID (once a day). I won't risk him not sweating again, so he will stay on this stuff for the rest of his life.
- SmartFlex Senior - one dose SID. Archie has been on this for years. Long before he could be considered a senior. I put him on it, rather than the other SmartFlex options, because it offered pre- and pro-biotic options, enzymes, and antioxidants. Also, it has a shit ton of the stuff that I wanted for the Kid's crappy joints: 7k mg of Glucosamine, 500 mg of Chondroitin Sulfate, 50 mg HA, and 12k mg MSM.
- Cocosoya Oil - 2 ounces SID. I wanted to add a little fat to his diet because he dropped a lot of weight when he moved to the new barn and he stopped eating his other supplements when they were no longer made moist by beer. Also, fat is a better option than straight calories because they don't tend to get hot from it. But I'll be completely honest: I only went with this instead of rice bran oil because it was cheaper. As the name suggests, it's soybean and coconut oil. At 98% fat, it contains Omegas 3, 6 and 9 and additional fatty acids. $20/gallon at Tractor Supply. A gallon lasts us about two months.
|I actually took a photo of this because I wanted to remember the sale dates.|
- Seminole Senior - umm.. a scoop BID (2x day). I wanted him off sweet feed. And Seminole is the brand the barn feeds. I have no complaints and the feed seems to have a lot of good stuff added to it.
- SandClear - 1 scoop SID for the first seven days of the month. He wouldn't eat the generic stuff and rejected Metamucil. Yay, money!
- Coastal hay - free choice from a round bale. Not perfect, but good enough.
- Beet pulp/Alfalfa cubes - 1 cup beet pulp (when dry), handful of cubes. Archie gets this, soaked, after every ride. Because his mother is crazy.
In Spring and Summer, the dude gets this stuff:
- All of the above, though the OneAC is doubled to be at the full dosage and the round bales are pulled.
- SmartLytes - one scoop SID. Super duper important to me that he get his electrolytes replenished in the summer when he's sweating (thankfully) his ass off. And I want him drinking, which the salt should encourage.
- Beer - 1 can BID. Whatever is the cheapest. We did Steel Reserve one season and the Beast the next. This is also one of my neuroses as a result of his anhidrotic episode, but it's not something I'll fuck around with. And... he absolutely loves his beer.
- Pasture grass - the grass grows pretty well at the barn and they've got a good pasture rotation system. I do plan on talking to the BM eventually about maybe supplementing Archie's feed with alfalfa pellets, though, to fill any gaps that may be caused by the quality of grass.
Here's what I really wanna know: is anyone on the SmartPak Colicare program? I want to know if the cost and effort are worth it.